How To Apply For A Direct Express Card [Easy Step-By-Step]
If you are here to learn a little about facts associated with the Direct Express Social Security Debit Card or wondering what number to call or what the details are all about and how to use this card to the best extent possible, then perfect, you have found the right article.
What I’m going to do in this article is give you all the Direct Express facts that you need to know about your card so that I can help you out with using your card and benefiting the most.
Quick Navigation Article Links
- Steps To Apply For Direct Express
- Social Security Administration
- United States Treasury
- Email, Live Chat & Fax
Steps To Applying For A Direct Express Card
1. If you don’t have a card or haven’t signed up to receive your payments via your Direct Express card, it’s quick and easy to do by calling the hotline enrollment center at 1-800-333-1795 (toll-free) or online at their website usdirectexpress.com
You will receive your Direct Express card within 10 business days after you have completed signing up successfully.
2. The issuing bank of Direct Express cards is Comerica Bank and they will contact the Social Security Administration that you have an account for Direct Express.
Comerica will get everything to Social Security that they need so you can start getting your federal benefits sent to your new Direct Express card.
3. When you get your new Direct Express card in the mail and properly activate it, then you will start receiving your benefits officially.
Activate by calling Customer Service toll free at 1 (888) 741-1115
Next you will be asked this information so have this ready
- Your new Direct Express Card has a 16 digit card number.
- Your last 4-digits of your Social Security number.
- Your date of birth.
Then, you only need to select a 4-digit (PIN) Personal Identification Number
It’s the PIN that you will use at ATMs to get cash.
Apply by Social Security Administration
Direct Deposit is easiest and safest to get your federal benefits. A mandate was issued in 2013 by the Department of the Treasury to no longer issue checks and direct deposit only.
With these times of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is even more of a safe peace of mind and important than ever to know that your payments are there when you expect them.
Having a Social Security account can also help you plan for your retirement.
Direct Deposit is best because
- You get your payments safely directly to your account in the safety of your home.
- Ease of updating or changing your information and enrollment.
- On time delivery with no delays like paper checks.
- Safer and less costly.
If you get Social Security benefits or wish to apply to get them, after your first payment received you can then get a Direct Express Card for your automatic direct deposits of your federal benefits.
You can sign up or create a new account or make changes on your federal benefits payment for a Direct Express Debit Mastercard through Social Security online by going to SSA.gov
Or call to Social Security Administration and start or change your direct deposit account at
1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY)
- Learn all the info on what to do when your Direct Express card is lost.
- Discover all the facts on how Direct Express’s Emergency Cash program works.
- All you need to know about Direct Express Routing Number.
United States Treasury Electronic Payment Solution Center (EPSC)
Another way to apply for your benefit payments onto a Direct Express Mastercard is to call the United States Treasury Electronic Solution Center (ESPC) and is managed by The United States Department of the Treasury.
They can be called at 1-(877) 874-6347 or Outside the U.S. – Direct Toll at 1-(214) 254-3113 (Free Interpreter services by phone in over 200 languages available)m or Online at GoDirect
When you call you will need your
- Social Security number
- Latest federal benefit check or claim number
- Date of Birth
Email, Live Chat, and Fax
Direct Express does not provide a way to change your address by email as there is no email address for customers. Also, there is no Live Chat or Fax available to apply for a Direct Express Debit Mastercard.
This method takes longer but is an option to write to Direct Express at:
P.O. Box 245998
San Antonio, TX 78224-5998